Jump to navigation Jump to search
Analysis and design of AC-DC and DC-DC converters. Linear, basic switching, charge-pump, and fly-back topologies. Introduction to devices used in a powerswitching supplies. Thermal management. Integral laboratory.
- Analyze and design linear regulator topologies including Zener based, pass-transistor based, and pass-transistor/Op-Amp topologies.
- Analyze and design switching regulator topologies including buck, boost, buck-boost, and flyback topologies.
- Analyze and design charge-pump topologies.
- Solve the convergence problems of using computer based simulation tools for the analysis of switching circuits.
- Use standard components found in switching topologies including control integrated circuits, gate drivers, and current sensors.
- Identify the differences between components used in switching circuits as compared to other circuits such as electrolytic and polyester capacitors, and low and high inductance resistors.
- Identify component failure mechanisms such as how lifetime is related to peak and RMS current ratings.
- Identify to how circuit layout affects circuit performance.
- Design,construct, test, and operate 50 W linear AC-DC and switching DC-DC power supplies.
- Use the fabrication tools and techniques necessary to prototype power supplies.
- Analyze and properly manage the thermal aspects of power electronic circuits.
General Class Information
- Intusoft Power Specialist's App Note Book
- Philips - Electrolytic Capacitor Information Note
- Data sheet for LM3876 Audio Power Amplifier
- Unitrode/TI Application note on Buck Power Supplies
- Unitrode/TI Application note on Buck-Boost Power Supplies
- Cornell-Dubilier - Design of Snubbers for Power Circuits
- Cornell-Dubilier - Aluminum-Electrolytic Capacitor Application Guide
- Cornell-Dubilier - Predicting Operating Temperature and Expected Lifetime of Electrolytic Caps
- Cornell-Dubilier - Thermal Modeling of Aluminum-Electrolytic Capacitors
- Wakefield Engineering Heat Sink Extrusion 5079 Specs
- TOP 104 Data Sheet
- Premier Magnetics TSD-777 Data sheet
- Unitrode/TI Application note on Charge Pumps
- Pulse-Engineering 3A to 17 A power Inductors
- IRF540 MOSFET Data Sheet
- UC3525A PWM Modulator Data Sheet
- Coilcraft CS1050 Current Sense Transformer Data Sheet
- Thermal Interface Materials
- Lab 1
- Lab 2
- Lab 3
- Lab 4
- Lab 5
- Lab 6
- Lab 7
- Lab 8